1. Syndromic surveillance data of Cynda Crawford, DVM, PhD, University of Florida; Edward Dubovi, PhD, Cornell University; Sanjay Kapil, DVM, PhD, ACVIM, Oklahoma State University; Rhode Island State Veterinarian's office; and IDEXX Laboratories. October 2015.
2. Crawford C, Spindel M. Canine influenza. In: Miller L, Hurley K, eds. Infectious Disease Management in Animal Shelters. Ames, IA: Wiley-Blackwell; 2009:173-180.
3. Data on file, Merck Animal Health.
4. Beeler E. Influenza in dogs and cats. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2009;39:251-264.
5. Canine influenza backgrounder. AVMA Website. Available at: https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Reference/Pages/Canine-Influenza-Backgrounder.aspx. Published February 14, 2007. Accessed December 9, 2015.
6. Canine influenza. The Center for Food Security & Public Health. College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University. Available at: http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/canine_influenza.pdf. Updated June 2014. Accessed December 9, 2015.
7. Rezendes A. Influenza continues to affect dogs. JAVMA News. Published September 1, 2008. Accessed June 9, 2009.
8. Information sheet: Canine influenza, Updated July 2015. UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program Website. Available at: http://www.sheltermedicine.com/library/canine-influenza. Accessed December 9, 2015.
9. Information sheet: Canine infectious respiratory disease complex. Updated July 2015. UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program Website. Available at: http://www.sheltermedicine.com/library/canine-infectious-respiratory-disease-complex-a-k-a-kennel-cough. Accessed December 9, 2015.
10. Wheatley C. The detectives. Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Website. Available at: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/news/cvmagazine/Fall04/detectives.pdf. Published Fall/Winter 2004. Accessed June 6, 2009.
11. Dubovi EJ, Njaa BL. Canine influenza. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2008;38(4):827-335.
12. NYS Animal Health Diagnostic Center at the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Website. Available at: https://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/news/civ.cfm. Accessed December 9, 2015.
13. Anderson TC, Thorson L, Pompey J, et al. Serological evidence for canine influenza virus circulation in racing greyhounds from 1999 to 2003. Paper presented at: American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 25th Annual Scientific Forum; June 6-9, 2007; Seattle, WA.
14. Crawford PC, Dubovi EJ, Castleman WL, et al. Transmission of equine influenza virus to dogs. Science. 2005;310:482-485.
15. Yoon K-Y, Cooper VL, et al. Influenza virus infection in racing greyhounds. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005;11:1974-1975.
16. Canine influenza in Oregon. Oregon Veterinary Medical Association Website. Published September/October 2005. Accessed July 13, 2009.
17. Frazer J. 17 dogs tested positive but survived. Wyoming Tribune Eagle Website. Available at: http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2006/05/28/news/import-107739.txt. Published May 28, 2006. Accessed July 13, 2009.
18. Hinkamp D. Utah has first canine flu outbreak. Utah State University Extension Website. Available at: http://extension.usu.edu/htm/news/articleID=2121. Published September 28, 2006. Accessed July 13, 2009.
19. AVMA policy. Canine influenza virus vaccine need. AVMA Website. Accessed June 5, 2009.
20. Health alert: Canine flu outbreak in New Jersey. Best Friends Network Website. Published July 15, 2008. Updated July 22, 2008. Accessed July 13, 2009.
21. Hurley KF. Canine influenza: Now what? Animal Sheltering Website. Available at: http://www.animalsheltering.org/resource_library/magazine_articles/the_scoop/canine_influenza_now_what.html. Accessed June 9, 2009.
22. Key facts about canine influenza. CDC Website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/canine. Accessed December 9, 2015.
23. Tellier R. Review of aerosol transmission of influenza A virus. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:1657-1662.
24. Anderson TC, Katz JM, Gibbs EPJ, Crawford PC. Development of a hemagglutination inhibition assay for diagnosis of canine influenza virus infection. Paper presented at: 110th Annual Meeting USAHA and 49th Annual Conference of the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians; October 12-18, 2006; Minneapolis, MN.
25. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute Website. Available at: http://www.clsi.org. Accessed June 4, 2009.
26. Canine influenza FAQs: questions, answers, and interim guidelines. AVMA Website. Available at: https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/FAQs/Pages/Control-of-Canine-Influenza-in-Dogs.aspx. Updated December 1, 2005. Accessed December 9, 2015.
27. Karaca K, Dubovi EJ, Siger L, et al. Evaluation of the ability of canarypox-vectored equine influenza virus vaccines to induce humoral immune responses against canine influenza viruses in dogs. Am J Vet Res. 2007;68(2):208-212.
28. Brelje B. Canine influenza confirmed in the Poconos. Pocono Record Website. Available at: http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070801/NEWS/708010338. Published August 1, 2007. Accessed June 11, 2009.
29. Clark T. Outbreak has killed 6 dogs in shelters. Philly.com Website. Published June 2, 2009. Accessed July 13, 2009.
30. Media briefing on canine influenza. CDC Website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/media/transcripts/t050926.htm. Published September 26, 2005. Accessed June 6, 2009.
31. Canine influenza. National Biosecurity Resource Center Website. Accessed June 9, 2009.
32. Deshpande M, Abdelmagid O, Tubbs A, Jayappa H, Wasmoen T. Experimental reproduction of canine influenza virus H3N8 infection in young puppies. Vet Ther. 2009;10(1-2):29-39.
33. Deshpande MS, Jirjis FF, Tubbs AL, et al. Evaluation of the efficacy of a canine influenza virus (H3N8) vaccine in dogs following experimental challenge. Vet Ther. 2009;10(3):103-112.
34. Larson LJ, Henningson J, Sharp P, et al. Efficacy of the canine influenza virus H3N8 vaccine to decrease severity of clinical disease after cochallenge with canine influenza virus and Streptococcus equi subsp. zooepidemicus. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2011;18(4):559-564.
35. Canine Influenza H3N2 Updates. Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine website. https://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/news/civchicago.cfm. Updated August 8, 2015. Accessed September 28, 2015.
36. Richardson JA, Glaser A, Reine-Salz N, Dubovi EJ. Prevalence of canine infectious respiratory disease in dogs in Chicago outbreak (March-April 2015). ACVIM Forum Proceedings, June 2015.
37. Updates in Canine Influenza Virus: Management, treatment and prevention of disease. VETgirl Webinar, July 27, 2015. Archived at www.vetgirlontherun.com.
38. Data on file Merck Animal Health, GFK Market Research 2014